Toxic products in your home and their impact

In our daily life, we used many of the products in our homes which can be called household products and many others. We used them for our benefit but those products might be toxic because of their toxic ingredients. You can find potentially dangerous chemicals everywhere on your property. You and your family may have minor to severe, even life-threatening health issues as a result of improper product storage or use.

Keep in mind that most products used in our houses are toxic like cleaners, polishes, sprays, and different washing powders. These products are made with different pesticides and other chemicals which have an impact on human life.

These products are antifreeze, windshield washer fluid, laundry detergents, bleach, dishwashing detergents, oven cleaners, antibacterial cleaners, carpet cleaners, and weed killers are just examples of household items.

Impact of toxic products

 Antifreeze

Either antifreeze or ethylene glycol antifreeze contains a very toxic component that is the most hazardous. Smoking can make you feel queasy but inhaling antifreeze can seriously affect your heart, kidneys, and brain. If consumed antifreeze can be lethal. Ethylene glycol can be absorbed through the skin so this one is toxic and dangerous for humans.

Windshield washer fluid

Methanol, ethylene glycol, and isopropanol are typically chemical components of washing fluid. When combined, these substances have the potential to irritate the nose, mouth, and throat and as well as harm other body parts like NS and kidneys and liver, and brain. If ingested leads to sometimes death as also sleepiness.

Laundry detergents

These products contain enzymes (cationic, anionic, and nonionic) that are used in the breakdown of dust and foggy dirt. When ingested/inhaled cationic detergents are the most harmful. When comes to the body it causes vomiting, nausea, and also coma. Nonionic detergents do not have the most dangerous effect as cationic but it is less toxic and irritate the skin, eyes, nose, and pores as well as being more reactive to other chemicals.

Bleach

It consists of sodium hypochlorite ranging from 0.7% to 5.25%. Water is present in bleach and chemical with this percentage is present. It causes irritation on the skin, eyes, throat, and nose. If ingested this chemical cause esophageal injury vomiting, stomach irritation, and also nausea. Do not mix this chemically made bleach with ammonia. This results in different types of gasses released which can cause very serious breathing problems.

Insecticides

Insecticides are made by the chemical diazinon, propoxur, and chlorpyrifos. These insecticides are used to kill insects present in our homes. In another way, they are useful as well as fatal or toxic for health. The chemicals present in insecticides can cause dizziness, twitching, and nausea.

Dishwashing detergents

In dishwashing detergents phosphate is the main ingredient used in its production. If swallowed it is poisonous. If ingested, these detergents infections in the throat, and mouth but mostly they are not fatal and lead to death.

Oven cleaners

Lye is the main component of over cleaners (together with both sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide). Lye can cause skin and eye burns due to its extreme corrosiveness. If eaten, it might cause severe tissue damage and be fatal.

Antibacterial Cleaners

Antibacterial cleaners include ingredients like perfume, water, a surfactant, and a pesticide often. Quaternary ammonium or phenolic chemicals are the insecticides commonly found in antibacterial cleaners. Antibacterial cleaners can make your eyes worse, as well as cause skin and throat burns.

Carpet cleaners

These cleaning agents may contain naphthalene, ammonium hydroxide, and perchlorate ethylene (used in dry cleaning). These agents cause nausea, loss of appetite, most malignancies, liver damage, dizziness, tiredness, and disorientation.

Air Fresheners

The product air fresheners used in our daily life at homes and offices and made up of formaldehyde, aerosol propellants, and petroleum distillates. Using this toxic product causes irritation in the skin, eyes, and throat. These components are frequently extremely flammable. In addition, stable fresheners frequently result in death if consumed by people or animals.

Foggers

Family foggers include many of the same pesticide compounds, including permethrin and methoprene as insecticides and pet flea and tick solutions. If you are exposed to these chemicals, you could have eye-burning as well as breathing problems. Foggers contents may be combustible.

Window and Glass cleaners

Window and glass cleaners have chemical ingredients ammonia and isopropanol. These chemicals in the cleaners may be irritants to the eyes, nose, and throat. If ingested, have a dangerous effects like unconsciousness and sometimes death.

Toilet bowl cleaners

In our houses, toilet bowl cleaners are also used which have major ingredients like sodium hypochlorite or hydrochloric acid, and also bleach is present in the production of toilet bowl cleaners. Mostly cleaners cause irritation to the eyes and skin and can burn the throat.

Mold removers and Drain cleaners

These cleaners and removers consist of chlorine, alkyl ammonium chlorides, lye, and sulfuric acid and the most dangerous chemical used in the production of these removers are common fungicides. Mold removers cause breathing problems and if ingested can burn your throat.

If we talk about the drain cleaners chemicals the sulfuric acid if ingested may damage your stomach and esophagus and also damage the kidneys and this chemical fatality can lead to death. We can be safe if using proper gloves and goggles.

Furniture polish

Furniture polish consists of ammonia, phenol, nitrobenzene, and petroleum distillates. The effects of these furniture polish chemicals are irritation in the eyes, nose, throat, lungs, and windpipe physically. If furniture polish is ingested into our body causes vomiting and nausea.

Swimming pool (chloride tablets and Algicides)

For water purification from germs and algeas chloride, tablets are used which are actually toxic.

These tablets contain chemicals like calcium and sodium hypochlorite and alkyl ammonium chlorides. When we are in contact with them causes a burning sensation in the eyes and breathing problems. [1]Toxic-Chemicals-in-the-Home.pdf (cehn.org) [2]https://www.pca.state.mn.us/sites/default/files/w-hhw1-10.pdf [3]chapter_6_hazardous_products_in_the_home.pdf (oregonstate.edu) [4]https://nestbau.info/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Beware-Toxic-Chemicals-in-everyday-life.pdf [5]https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/emes/public/docs/How to Reduce Your Exposure to chemicals at home work and play fs.pdf

References

References
1Toxic-Chemicals-in-the-Home.pdf (cehn.org)
2https://www.pca.state.mn.us/sites/default/files/w-hhw1-10.pdf
3chapter_6_hazardous_products_in_the_home.pdf (oregonstate.edu)
4https://nestbau.info/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Beware-Toxic-Chemicals-in-everyday-life.pdf
5https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/emes/public/docs/How to Reduce Your Exposure to chemicals at home work and play fs.pdf

Leave a Comment

x
%d bloggers like this: