Home cleaning products toxicity and Safety advice

In our daily lives at home, school, and the office, cleaning products play a significant role. They stop the transmission of infectious illnesses and manage allergens, such as mold and dust, which help us stay healthy, by safely and effectively eliminating dust, bacteria, and other impurities. Cleaning supplies also help us maintain our property and residences.

Chemicals used in cleaning and hygiene solutions, such as bleach, dishwashing liquid, and other household cleansers, increase cleaning effectiveness and make it simpler and healthier to maintain homes, workplaces, and other surroundings.

The following is a quick description of several cleaning products:

In the utility/laundry room


To remove stains and grime from the soil, these products contain enzymes (branded “cationic,” “anionic,” or “non-ionic”). When used domestically, cationic detergents are the most dangerous.

  • Vomiting, shock, convulsions, and coma are possible side effects of consumption. While “non-ionic” detergents are less harmful overall, they can still irritate your skin, eyes, and increase your sensitivity to other chemicals.
  • If the person is unprotected to a lot of laundry detergent, asthma might develop. Many home poisons from unintentional intake are also caused by soaps.

Safety advice

Always use rubber gloves to protect your skin while using all-purpose cleansers. Ensure that the room has excellent air circulation as well. Keep a few windows open or turn on the fan. The most crucial rule is to never combine two distinct kinds of cleansers, notably ammonia and chemicals containing chlorine (bleach). This substance can release a gas called chloramine, which can be lethal if breathed in high quantities and cause severe respiratory difficulties.


  • Sodium hypochlorite, a chemical, is included in domestic bleach in amounts ranging from 0.7% to 5.25%. The amount of chemicals in liquid is indicated by this percentage.
  • Most of the remaining liquid is water. The nose, eyes, throat and skin might get annoyed by chlorine bleach solutions and fumes. Dermatitis may result from direct contact with the skin.
  • Consumption may result in esophageal damage, heartburn, and protracted nausea and vomiting.
  • Never combine chlorine bleach with other home cleaners, and especially never combine bleach with ammonia.
  • By doing so, a number of harmful gases that might seriously impair breathing may be released.

Safety advice

Be careful to wait at least 24 hours before using these items on your dog or cat. If you neglect them and then care for them, wash your hands and skin right away with lots of soap and water.

Dishwashing liquids

  • In both automated and manual dishwashing detergents, phosphate plays a significant role. Automatic dishwashing detergents have a reputation for irritating the skin or eyes and can be hazardous if ingested.
  • Dishwashing detergents for automatic dishwashers are heavier than hand soaps.
  • They can irritate the tongue and throat and make you feel queasy, but they won’t kill you if you swallow them.

Oven cleaners

  • Sodium is the primary component in oven cleanser (containing sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide). Lay has a strong corrosive nature and can cause skin and eye burns.
  • If eaten, it can be deadly and cause significant tissue damage.

Safety advice

When using oven cleansers, remember to always put on an apron, gloves, and goggles. Avoid breathing in the smoke. Ensure enough ventilation in the workplace. The best advice is to use non-toxic oven cleansers. Choose a product that doesn’t have it by reading the label.

Cleaner that kills germs

  • Cleaners that kill bacteria often contain water, fragrance, and a surfactant (and a pesticide).
  • Antibacterial cleansers frequently include the following pesticides:
  • compounds phenolic or ammonium.
  • Cleaners with antibacterial properties might sting your throat, burn your skin, and irritate your eyes.

Safety advice

Wearing latex dishwashing gloves can help protect your skin when using these cleansers. Wash it off right away if something gets on your skin or into your eyes.

Cleaning glass and windows

  • Ammonia and isopropanol make up the majority of window/glass cleaners.
  • These products may irritate the skin, nose, throat, and eyes.
  • They may result in sleepiness, a coma, or even death if ingested.
  • Use these items in a well-ventilated area and with gloves on at all times as a precaution. within the restroom

Bathroom cleaners

  • The main ingredients in toilet cleansers are bleach, hydrochloric acid, or sodium hypochlorite.
  • The majority of antiseptic cleansers can cause throat burn, eye irritation, and skin irritation.
  • Never Cleaner for toilet bowls can be used with any other home or cleaning supplies.
  • The discharge of poisonous gases and resulting respiratory issues may result from doing so.

Safety Advice

Whenever cleaning your bathroom, ensure sure there is adequate ventilation. Use an exhaust fan if you have one and leave the door open. When applying toilet cleaning, use rubber dishwashing gloves to prevent splashing onto your skin. Sprays should be removed from skin as soon as possible.

Cleaners for drains

  • To seal the ducts, lye and sulfuric acid are the essential components.
  • If lye is ingested, it can harm the stomach and esophagus in addition to causing skin and eye discomfort. Sulfuric acid can harm the kidneys, liver, and digestive system in addition to irritating the skin and eyes.
  • When these substances come into touch with your eyes, they can cause blindness, skin burns, and hazardous odors. Ingesting drain cleaners might be fatal.
  • When utilizing these goods, be sure to always put on safety goggles and gloves. When using these cleaners, be certain that the room has excellent air circulation.

The garden and pool in the backyard

Tabs of chlorine for swimming pools

  • Calcium and sodium hypochlorite are antibiotics that include chlorine and are suitable for use in swimming pools.
  • These compounds are identical, but because they will dissolve in large quantities in water, they may be concentrated more than the chemicals found in other home disinfection cleansers.
  • Before they are diluted, exposure to these compounds can make it difficult to breathe and irritate the skin and eyes.
  • The chemicals can burn the throat and be lethal if ingested.


  • Alkyl ammonium chlorides are typically included in alkaloids used as algaecides in swimming pools.
  • Breathing problems may result from these substances. If consumed, they can cause throat burn.

Safety Advice

Only apply repellant to your clothes if the label specifies you may apply it to skin or clothing. It will function just as described. Avoid getting repellent in your eyes, mouth, or near any skin wounds. Avoid applying repellant to your face. Take a bath as soon as you go inside the house to remove the toxins and wash your clothes. 

[1]Cleaning Supplies and Household Chemicals | American Lung Association [2]7 Toxic Household Cleaners to Avoid – Don’t Mess with Mama (dontmesswithmama.com) [3]The Guide to Toxic and Non-Toxic Cleaning Products — Pro Housekeepers [4]Household Chemical Products & Health Risks (clevelandclinic.org)

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: